Randy,
  That is exactly it.  What is the difference between a Civic and a MBZ
wagon?  I would almost prefer the wagon in a rear end collision.  With the
wagon maybe someone will be in the 3rd row if you have kids.  With the
Civic the rear will be used a lot more placing kids at higher risk more
often.
  Heck, maybe the rear facing seat is safer than a front facing 3rd row.
Just maybe, the rearmost passengers will see the accident coming and either
move or scream real loud so the driver can move out of harms way.
  I also own a one ton Ford conversion van.  I will sit in the rear of that
and take a collision over almost any modern car.  The rear sits high and
the bumper and frame in the van are very strong.  Gonna take one hell of a
hit to get to the passengers with anything but a semi or lifted 4x4.

Mike