Hans Neureiter wrote:
 And everyone I know calls the things that hold the wheels on my Benz a "LUG
BOLT". Why?

Because of the analogy to "lug nuts," I suppose.

My Vanagon had bolts in front and nuts in back! Better not lose any, since you can't do the "steal one each from the other three wheels" trick.

Just to confuse you further, they aren't really "bolts," they're "hex head cap screws." A bolt always has a nut on the other end. If it goes into a threaded hole, it's a screw. This is helpful to know if you ever need to get one from a company that specializes in fasteners.