Those kind of things with the exposed filters or the cold air intakes are ok for a gas burner the lower compression makes thm a tad more forgiving, but if you put one on a diesel you'd better live in Death Valley, or plan on parking whenever it starts raining or you'll likely suck up a belly full of water into the engine. It doesn't take much on a diesel before it's all over but the crying. Diesel air filter housings are generally designed carefully with the thought of shedding water in mind.

I've known a few people with VW and Volvo diesels who have gone that route with the sexy air intake setups, and blown the engines that way. One did it, just going through a big puddle at an intersection.

---------Robert

David Brodbeck wrote:
Harry  M. wrote:
Those setups are called cold air intakes, they increase the airflow
to the engine and believe it or not have been proven to increase
power.

What was shown in the ebay link was *not* a cold air intake. It was under the hood. A true "cold air intake" needs to draw outside air, not under-hood air. An example of a *stock* cold air intake is the air intake on a Volvo 240. The airbox is connected to an intake pipe that runs around the radiator and opens just behind the grille.

I found a setup for my Miata and with a nice exhaust it added
a extra 20hp at the rear wheels.

Have you verified that with a dyno, or is it just "seat of the pants"? In the dyno testing I've seen, even on old American cars with really restrictive air cleaners the gain was usually less than 5 hp. Often it was less than the variation between runs. If you've really gained 20 hp, it's probably mostly from the exhaust.