At one point I saw an article on some sort of safety device for the air
intake (just for the reasons you mentioned) I forget exactly how/what it
was, but some sort of T in the line that would get air elsewhere due to
pressure or something.  The part I remember was they had the guy's NSX on a
dyno and shoved the end of his intake into a fish tank.  They had him do a
full dyno test on it.  You could see the water get sucked up the pipe a
ways, but never far enough to get in...
There were a couple variables I could question, but it was interesting if
nothing else.  (:

Levi