On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 00:20:01 -0400 (EDT) relng...@aol.com wrote:
Not this again. So Porsche has made a mistake in specifying M1 0W40
across the line, then? My friend ALC's 2012 Porsche 991 Carrera S, 3.8
liters, 400 hp, 186mph on the way to Starbucks, needs "thicker"oil?

Not this again. They are talking about a 240D, not this year's Porsche.
M1 15W-50 is entirely suitable for a 240D while 0W-40 is not.
Craig

The first oil arguments I remember began about 1945. The oils have greatly improved but the arguments are still going on. The first big change in oil arguments was new oil versus reprocessed oil since stock car racers used reprocessed oil. Young guys with money put sperm oil (whale oil) in their reprocessed oil because that's what some racers with Offenhauser engines used. The other Offy racers used castor oil, but the kids seldom used it because it would stink up the atmosphere for a mile around and the neighbors would complain. Next was new oil versus new oil with "detergent". When detergent oil became available many put it in their old engines and the engines started knocking and clattering and using oil by the gallon as the detergent dissolved the collected crud of years gone by that had filled in the worn spaces in the engines. After that people began swearing by this or that brand of oil, all of which were supposed to have miracle additives. A side argument back then was sulphur based California oils versus non-sulphur based Pennsylvania oils or equivalents. Slowly, a few of us who just wanted our engines to last a long time, started using the RPM Delo oil that the big trucks used in order to get sometimes a half million miles out of their engines. We held our breath when a Standard Oil subsidiary acquired RPM Delo, thinking they would screw up the formula like most big corporations were apt to do, but by some miracle they didn't screw it up too badly and it remained the best oil for quite some time. Other oil companies gradually caught on and copied Delo in various ways to the point where there were a number of fairly good dino oils. Mobil and Shell truck oils were never as good as Delo, however. Everyone here probably remembers when synthetic oils hit the market and a gulf between dino and synthetic opened; never to close again. Nowadays oil arguments are in a rut with nothing to argue about but the weight of oil to be used in various cars. I long for the good old days of oil arguments when there were actual fist fights over oil and oil additives such as Casite which caused a satisfyingly smelly cloud of smoke from the tailpipe when you poured it in the carburetor. If you had a fist fight over oil nowadays, you'd probably wind up in the pokey.
(end of rant)
Gerry