From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Jon Agne
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 3:42 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] '68 250S - '69 280SE Parts Compatibility

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I bought a '68 250S with carb issues.  It's a
good solid car with little or no rust in all of the usual suspect places.
Original paint all around, and I had no problem with the magnet sticking
everywhere.  I had it on a reliable source that the car ran great for about
3 weeks after the PO spent $900 on carb work (saw receipt) before it
returned to its somnolent state.  Upon removing the carb cover, all we could
smell was varnish, and the PO has told me that he did not do anything to the
tank or lines.  Hmmm, I think we figured this one out.

While working through this, I happened, by chance , to come across a '69
280SE with a seized engine.  The body is pretty good (not as good as the
250S), but the interior trim pieces on the doors and dash are all better.  I
am thinking this could become a donor car for the 250S, but am concerned
about the compatibility of the parts, i.e: fuel tank & lines, suspension
parts, AC parts, steering pump, etc.

Jon

1985 300D