In a very crude sense, yes.

The big difference is that a transfer switch is typically "load rated", meaning
that it can be switched while under load without damage.

This is why low end manual and some automatic transfer switches are constructed
using circuit breakers, as a circuit breaker is a load rated disconnect device.

And Craig, just so there is no confusion, your setup is perfectly fine and
within code as described. My comments were reflective of someone simply using
breakers that were not interlocked to switch between sources and the load. A
very, very dangerous means of doing it....

Dan