On 27/11/2012 3:06 PM, andrew strasfogel wrote:
Each of our two black 18 lb. cats delights in slowly making his way
ahead of me as I attempt to descend the stairs.  I always ask them
politely  "Excuse me - am I in your way?" and they generally move a
little quicker (but not much)..

Andrew
Human staff to Mystal and Polydamas

Our little dog will run down the stairs and pass me on the way. Good thing I did not fall on him.
He is a Bichon so not quite as heavy as your cats. About 15#.

He always goes up the right side and down the left side. You can see the pattern of his feet on the carpet as we go up the middle and do not normally step on the same spots that he does.

Randy