I held my tongue when my son's teacher said, "the only way to learn
multiplication tables is to memorize them."  But it was hard.  When we left
the room I told son never to listen to her about math, and ask me if he
couldn't figure out how to do something.  That seems to be working well so
far, except the teacher complains that he skips all the steps when he's
"working" on a problem.

Best,
Tim
_____

I always got whacked for "not showing my work" and the right answer didn't count. Just the opposite of real life. In real life, the ability to get the right answer FAST counts. It also counted for a LOT when you take standard tests Like ITBS, ITED, and later ACT/SAT. Of course engineering school made you show every step so anyone else could trace your work if need be. That was in the days of slide rules and working calc by hand.

I remember vividly taking the ACT math section. I got done, checked by work, looked around the room of a couple hundred people, and only Barry Miller was done. Barry was a freaking genius. I got a 35 in the Math ACT. I was quite happy with that. (for SAT people, that is something like 970,000 (Just kidding)