On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 15:51:56 -0800 (PST) Curt Raymond
<curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> the new one has a longer shaft and the key sits 1/4" farther away
> from the body of the alternator.
> Anyway after much screwing around I end up taking 2 washers that were
> slightly undersized for the shaft on the alt and using the drum sander
> in my dremel tool to open them up to a good tight fit which spaced the
> original pulley out pretty much perfectly.

It's not entirely clear from your description that this modification puts
the pulley on the new one the same distance from the alternator mounting
bracket as it was on the old one.

Is it? Do all of the sheaves (alternator, crank, water pump) line up
properly?

> Finally got it all buttoned up and I've never been so happy to see
> 14.4v!

Congratulations!

> Anyway after so many ins and outs the belt is a little chewed, I'd
> better replace that tomorrow...

Sounds like a good idea!

Craig