Are you talking "impact driver" or "impact wrench" as there is a BIG difference. With my impact driver (uses 1/4" hex bits), I can vary the torque with the variable trigger. Impact drivers can be used with small screws, say 1/2" #4. If I used an impact wrench (using 3/8" or 1/2" sockets) it's all or none torque and you control it by releasing the trigger early enough.

Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
'98 ML320 "Max" (159,xxx mi)