On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Greg Fiorentino <gf...@dslnorthwest.net>wrote:

> I concur with the other responders on the 3/4 over 1/2.  If you will be
> hauling a lot of stuff, then 3/4 is the right choice.    IMO the Dodge
> advantage is with their diesel engines.  I favor Ford over GM, I think
> their
> trucks generally are better engineered and built.  My trucks have mostly
> been diesels so I can't really say about modern gasoline engines.  By all
> means do get the towing package.

The dodge comes standard with the towing package, it's an extra cost add-on
with Ford.
I'm looking at a small cab, long bed truck, and the Diesel engines are 30%
more than the basic truck. Hard for me to justify, even with my emotional
attachment to Diesel engines.

> As far as lifting things into the bed, how about a hydraulic crane designed
> for that purpose?  Or a winch mounted in the front of the bed along with
> ramps?  Lifting heavy objects by hand is an invitation to injury or damage.
> HF sells such a crane for less than $200 that has good reviews:
>

> http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-c
> able-winch-37555.html<http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html>
>
> Greg

Exactly what I was thinking. I have an engine hoist at home that has been
used more for lifting non-engines than anything else. I also have a HF
cable winch that I use the pull the airplane ito the hangar - another
couple would be nice for a truck. My Dad always used to say "Engage brain
before back".

--
OK Don
2001 ML320