Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:20:19 -0700
From: Craig <diese...@pisquared.net>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Cold weather issues

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:37:39 -0800 clay monroe <redgh...@comcast.net>
wrote:

This is curious on a lot of levels....

> SWMBA is moving herself to the great white north next year.

So she is leaving you behind?

> I wonder about CO with the place all buttoned up tight for six months.

It depends upon whether you have a gas water heater and furnace and how
tight the place actually is. It would likely be no more problem than if
you were there, the amount of CO in the air probably reaches steady-state
overnight. In addition, when you are away, there are no vent fans run.

You can set a gas water heater to pilot and not have much consumption
from that. You can turn down the temperature on the furnace.

> How do they deal with the moisture added to the dry air and not get
> mold?

Not running the humidifier when away will prevent that problem and save
electricity and water to boot. But if it's dry air to start ...

> I am told there is not much forced air heat, since the availability of
> NG is dropping.  No way to get it from the ground to town.

Actually, natural gas prices in the U.S. are dropping because of the
increased supply with fracking. The U.S. will shortly become a natural
gas exporter.

Whether there is not much forced air heat has nothing to do with natural
gas. The only other major energy sources are propane and electricity,
both of which fuel forced air heating systems as well as boilers for
hydronic heat, just like natural gas does.

But you don't say where there is not much forced air heat....

Craig