I had a Sanden AC compress fitted in my early W108 in place of the york.  A
local AC shop helped me spec it out.  I installed an AC accumulator like
the ones found on American cars, and replaced the expansion valve with an
orifice tube.  Charged with Freeze12.  I put a large W126 condensor fan in
front, triggered by a relay together with the compressor clutch.  I also
put a vacuum switch in to cut the vacuum to the dashpot on the carb to
increase the idle a bit.  This was back in 2003.

It was wonderful... I had that system so cold I could get the chrome on the
dash over the vents to frost over.  And driving in traffic was no issue
thanks to the fan and higher idle speed.

Before the conversion, the york would just suck the car down in traffic.
 Idle speed too low, vent and engine temps rising, etc.

Here are some photos:
http://images.jaimekop.com/2003_07_12_250S_AC_Compressor/

Jaime

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Benz Hogs <benz-n-h...@gulseth.net> wrote:

> Can you give us more details?
>
> Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
> '98 ML320 "Max" (161,xxx mi)
>

> On 2/4/2013 2:06 PM, Dan Penoff wrote:
>
>> Yorks are bulletproof but very inefficient. Rotaries are far more
>> efficient and take up less space.
>>
>> I have done a couple of conversions from York to Nippondenso (if I recall
>> correctly) and with the proper brackets it's a pretty simple job.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On Feb 4, 2013, at 2:55 PM, "Kaleb C. Striplin" <ka...@striplin.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  More efficient less drag on engine
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Feb 4, 2013, at 1:01 PM, dsereta...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>>
>>>  I thought the Yorks were pretty bulletproof. Why retrofit with a rotary?

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/