ATE has lawyered up, now that they are owned by ITT, originally a 'merkun company.

DOT 4 is superior in any VEEhicle.
they are claiming older MBs are DOT3 only, but I am here to testify that merkun DOT3 in any post 1959 MB will swell the brake hoses shut. I think the same it true for any postwar MB ,but don't have experience there.

DOT5 can be used in any MB also, but does require changeout and flush, and in my experience, multiple follow-up drainings to be sure the DOT3/4/water is all gone.

When DOT5 was new, MB said the hoses were incompatible. Subsequent study shoed that hosed used with DOT4 prior to changeover/flush to DOT5 work well. I presume that hoses made by MB more then 5 yrs after into of DOT5 are ok new. I never had any trouble either way.

For high performance braking, DOT5 is the way to go, unless you like brake fade and loss of braking under duress.

Remember this is only an opinion...