One of the really bad things about modern medicine is that they tell you "pain killers" will make you totally pain free. I've got arthritis in my hands now, and believe me, you have to be totally unconcious to be pain free! Livable, yes, free of pain like you were 18, not a chance.

Opiates really don't do anything about the pain, they just make you not care so much. We'd all be better off if people were told that to start with. It's like Valium for anxiety -- Valium is a muscle relaxant, you couldn't be anxious if your feet were burning, it blocks the physiological response. It does nothing for mental states.

Tough it out works MUCH better. We have a family friend with a very long tale of accidents, surgerys, cancer (three times, all different) and basic old age, and she is allergic to all opiates. She said you just have to distract yourself. Since she's still alive, she probably has something there!

Peter