Been welding for about 40+ years, all types, all positions, so I have a
"little experience" to draw from. [certified aerospace systems welder for a
time]

You said all the magic words for trouble getting a good weld. Flux core
wire, few amperage selections, few wire speed selections, thin material.

All of those factors work together to work against you. Likely add to that,
the weld area was not cleaned to bright metal, so you had some oxidation to
overcome which further challenged the flux core wire.

You may have been more successful with the next size heavier wire, which
would have let you add more metal to the weld puddle. Or, you may have been
able to overcome that limitation by using a "weaving motion" which widens
the weld puddle and doesn't let the concentration of heat build to the
point of yield of the base material, rather than rely on the feed of wire
to stack metal in a small location [which allows a concentration of heat
buildup in a localized area, thus burn though],

Welding rule of thumb.. thinner the material, more precise heat and fill
rod control, more expensive the welder.

Bring it a little closer to the computer so I can see what it's doing :)).

Grant...