On 09/04/2013 6:20 PM, Mountain Man wrote:
Randy wrote:
I hope no one I know ever ends up where she is.
Me.
But... you don't know me.
mao

Well, to some extent I guess I do and if you are in a similar scenario, then I feel for you too. Some of the things that happen to us are not our fault and even if they are our fault, are not necessarily because we are bad people. Sometimes we fail to see the future coming or fail to react even when we do. Some folks seem to bounce back better than others etc.

It is a bad deal when older folks get tossed aside and cannot find a new job. A job gives one much more than just the money to live on. It provides a lot of self esteem and a circle of acquaintances etc.
It gives one a purpose in life.
I don't quite know why people are so anxious to retire.
A lot of them then volunteer and work as hard as ever without the pay component (sp?)

It is no doubt a difficult thing to do, but have you considered going into some form of business on your own? Start small and do what you can in order to keep busy etc if nothing else. It may never provide the same level of income that you had in your normal job but you may enjoy it more.

I think often that I could be a sort of handi-man. There seems to be a shortage of people who can or will fix smaller things and I have long been a DIY person. I cannot afford to give up what I am currently doing or I would trade for that in a heartbeat. I have a significant line of credit outstanding that has been used for a number of things including, educating my sons. I do not regret it but I would like to make it go away, so I need income, but I am bored with my day to day business life and would welcome the opportunity to do something very different.

I have spent almost all of my life self-employed in some job or another so I have rarely had a steady pay cheque. My father was the same way so I guess I learned some of it from him. He did whatever he had to and although he was never wealthy and did not leave a whole lot of cash behind, he did not die in debt either.

Randy