Here's the tale of the trip onto the icecap that I took in lieu of a meeting with the Prince of Wales.

DYE-3
By Wilton Strickland

I visited DYE-3, one of the Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line RADAR sites on the Greenland ice cap one Sunday in mid-to-late summer of '78 aboard a NY Air National Guard ski-equipped C-130. (The four RADAR sites in Greenland get their names from the site at Cape Dyer, Canada, (DYE-MAIN) across Davis Strait from the west coast of Greenland - the Greenland sites taking the names in sequence from west to east - DYE-1 on the west coast, DYE-2 and 3 on the ice cap and DYE-4 off the east coast on the island of Kulusuk.) As we arrived, the sun was shining brightly, and temperature was about 55°F to 60°F with one of the clearest blue skies I've ever seen - much like the Michigan Upper Peninsula on a clear, cool and cloudless day, but, in this case, I could see "forever" in all directions out across the horizon, a line formed by bright blue above and brilliant white below. I felt amazed to be standing on a block of ice that, if it were to melt, all of the world's oceans would rise by 23 feet. Though I was at an elevation of 8600 feet, the thickness of the ice there could be as much as 10,000 feet. The ice is so heavy, that the land supporting it is depressed significantly below sea level on most of the island. Immediately underfoot was a thin, maybe ½ inch-thick, slush, not very wet - somewhat like snow cream.

Though elevation at the site stays relatively constant, snow accumulates in the area at about 2½ to 3 feet per year. As it accumulates, more ice is squeezed down-slope to the coastlines and melts or breaks off the outer, lower edges of glaciers to become icebergs, keeping the elevation up on the icecap itself fairly constant. To keep the RADAR site from eventually being buried by the snow accumulation, though, additional column sections, each about 20 feet long, were added as needed inside each of the eight column tower "rooms" so that the entire site could be jacked up and kept level by a hydraulic jacking system. Built in 1960, by 1977, the building had been lifted about 60 feet, and the column depth beneath the ice surface was over 100 feet, and the columns were being seriously and adversely affected by differential settlement, horizontal forces deep within the ice, etc. That summer, Danish Arctic Contractors (DAC) moved the 3270-ton site 210 feet to the west and set it up on new footings and columns. All of the machinery, structural materials, etc., were flown to the site by NY Air National Guard C-130's.

Danish engineers at the site to finish details of moving the site the previous summer invited me to have lunch with them. They had their separate quarters, dining hall, etc., set up in temporary buildings, tents, etc., on the ice near the RADAR site. After lunch, I saw a small yellow tent on the ice in the distance and asked my host, "What is that?" "Oh, that's a National Science Foundation (NSF) site; they're drilling ice cores," he responded. "May we go out there?" I asked "Sure," he answered, "let's take this Snow-Cat/car" - a Bombardier track-driven vehicle with an enclosed cabin; I got into the front passenger seat and off we went as he steered by manipulating two levers to control power to the tracks. 'Don't know how far it was out to the tent; 'hard for me to judge under those conditions of clear blue sky and white, featureless, flat expanse of ice - maybe a couple of miles. The two men there briefly explained the operation. They were looking for evidence of changes in Earth's climate, etc., stored in the ice, layer by layer, over thousands of years. They eventually bored (and recovered cores) to bedrock - a depth of about 7,000 feet at this spot. I think NSF is still doing work there, or nearby, but the RADAR site closed in '91/'92. En route back to the RADAR site, I very much enjoyed driving the Snow-Cat myself.

When we got back to the RADAR site, my host gave me a tour around under it and off to the side to a covered man-hole going down into the ice. Sticking up out of the ice a couple of feet was a corrugated, galvanized steel pipe/tube about 3 or 4 feet in diameter with a hinged top on it. My host opened the top, and I peered straight down into the vertical pipe for at least 30 to 40 feet. Attached to one side of the inside of the pipe was a ladder leading downward into a large chamber at the bottom of it. The host asked if I'd like to go down and see the fuel storage facility. I was feeling brave (or foolish) enough to say yes, and he led the way down the ladder. At the bottom of the ladder, we emerged into a huge cavern enclosed inside a Quonset-hut-like, heavy, corrugated, galvanized steel structure buried in the ice and covering several large Diesel fuel bladders. After a few minutes walking around inside the huge cavern discussing pumps, valves, etc. we climbed gingerly back up the long tube and emerged at the top of the tall ladder into bright sun again.

Also of special interest outside the huge building towering above us was the snow collection system for "making" the site's domestic water. A large area for about 300 feet out to one side of the building was marked off as restricted from entry - a couple of long cables were suspended above this area and attached to the surface ice at the outer end and attached at the upper end high on the side of the building. These cables plus a large steel bucket attached to them constituted a dragline assembly for collecting snow that was then melted for domestic use in the facility.

Finally, it was time to tour the main building - the RADAR site itself. At the time, the first floor of the site was about 30 feet above the ice surface with a set of long, open, precarious-looking steps leading up to the entryway. I continued to appear very brave and up the stairs we went. The leader of the crew of about 20 Danes and Americans met me in the entry hall and began a detailed tour of the entire complex, including bedrooms, lounges, gym, kitchen, dining room, power generation room, electronic equipment rooms, monitoring and control consoles, antenna domes, support column towers - everywhere - covering all floors for quite some time. Meanwhile, during this time, the American crew leader had been called away on his walkie-talkie, and his Danish assistant continued the tour with me. The Dane became quite impressed by the Strategic Air Command (SAC) patch on the front of the flight jacket I was wearing. He recognized it and asked why I was wearing a SAC patch. I told him I had flown B-52's for many years before going to a civil engineering job - as a civil engineer, I seldom need a flight jacket, and I just had not removed the patch. He admired the patch so much, I offered it to 'im as a gift. We paused right there in a door/hatch way up high overlooking the snow collection area, and he took out his knife and removed the patch from my jacket as I remarked, "Just, please, don't cut the jacket."

The Dane also told me a little personal story of an incident he witnessed during WW II: One day in 1945 near the end of the war, when he was 10 years old, he heard the sounds of German hobnail boots as an infantry unit marched in his direction. Just as he took a position in his front yard to watch the column pass, a British Army sergeant major and a driver in a JEEP pulled up and stopped just short of a small bridge over a canal near his home. The sergeant major got out of the JEEP and stood in the middle of the road with this hands on his hips waiting for the German column to arrive at the bridge. A German colonel on a horse was leading the column of troops. The colonel approached the sergeant major and stopped on the bridge. Sergeant major said to the colonel, "I hereby take your surrender and that of all of your troops. Dismount from the 'orse, and, as you cross the bridge, 'ave all of your men deposit all of their weapons in a pile 'ere beside the road." The colonel hesitated and said, "But I'll not surrender to an enlisted man; I will surrender to a commissioned officer only. Please have a commissioned officer come to take my surrender." The sergeant major snatched his .45 caliber automatic pistol from its holster and promptly shot the horse between the eyes, saying, "I said, 'get off the bloody 'orse and place your weapons 'ere on the bloody ground!" The colonel and his troops complied and proceeded on their way with the sergeant major in charge.

Just as the tour of the RADAR site was winding down in mid-to-late afternoon, the American crew leader found us and informed me that the C-130 was having some maintenance problems back at Sondrestrom and would not be returning that day. "They'll be back in the morning; you'll be spending the night with us." The Danish assistant took me to a "housing clerk," who showed me to a bedroom, showers, etc., and asked me to meet the crew in the dining room at 1800 for dinner. An interesting thing to me about the bedroom was that the window overlooking the vastness of the icecap had an inner pane of glass about 3 feet inward from the outer pane; this not only indicates a "super insulated" window but it also indicates that the outer walls of the structure were 3 feet thick. I met the crew at the appointed time for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed the jovial atmosphere and a near feast. After dinner, we watched a movie on a TV in the lounge and carried on a bunch of great conversation. Meanwhile, my Danish engineer host from that morning came in and asked me if I'd like to play some electronic games (Nintendo, I think, or something like that). We quickly began to enjoy it immensely and played until 1:00 AM. 'Had a fantastic breakfast the next morning with the site crew and left for the return to Sondy at about 1100.

The site was abandoned by the Air Force in 1991/'92, and, because the support columns, jacking, etc., are not properly maintained, along with the necessary jacking, it is slowly being inundated by the accumulating snow, likely to emerge in a glacier or an iceberg someday in the far, far distant future as historical artifacts and debris.

For additional info about the ice cap RADAR sites, DYE-3 and its twin, DYE-2, check the following links:
www.crrel.usace.army.mil/library/crrelreports/CR98_03.pdf

http://www.lswilson.ca/dye3pics.htm

http://www.lswilson.ca/dye2pics.htm

http://www.lswilson.ca/dye2visitjul03.htm