Not to mention the venturi style vacuum pumps require a fairly large CFM
compressor to work properly.

Noisy and rather inefficient.

You can find AC specific vacuum pumps reasonably priced if you shop around.  It
will probably be the biggest investment you'll make in your AC tools after a
quality manifold gauge set.

Dan