Tan Qu wrote:
I don't have an infared temp meter so I have to come
up with something else to get the block temp.
Now, if the pump is ok, water should come out the
upper radiator hose even with thermostat in, right?
How likely is that the temp sensor is bad? Where is
the sensor located that is connected to the gauge? I
know there is one right below the thermostat housing
and one near the upper radiator hose. I actually
disconnected both both the gauge still registered
120C. Is there a third temp sensor that I don't know
of?

The thing next to the thermostat housing is a thermostatic switch - NOT a temp sensor. There are several more of these at the front of the head behind the fuel filter. The engine temp sensor is on the side of the head - about halfway back.

When the thermostat is closed almost all of the coolant flow is confined to the block and almost none thru the hoses.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi