Tan,

Before you do those steps,

#1. Start engine with engine being cold, check for pressure on coolant
system to verify head gasket is OK.

A bad head gasket will pump air into the coolant. This air will often get
caught between water and thermostat and basically insulate thermostat such
that it never gets warm enough to open. This is the same thing that happens
when you fill system and have to "burp" it.

BTW the best way I have found to burp coolant system is to start engine and
let it idle while watching temp gauge. When gauge get just slightly hotter
than "normal" turn engine off. Go get a soda pop and let it burp, after it
burps there should be little pressure on upper hose. Top off system and it
is usually OK. Sometimes this has to be done twice, but not often.

Trampas