Mitch Haley wrote:
Trampas wrote:
I have always heard that if you remove the thermostat it will circulate the
water really fast through radiator. Thus the water does not stay in contact
with metal of radiator long enough to transfer heat.

I've heard it multiple times too. No basis in fact, but like most "wives'
tales",
it will never die.

The above explanation doesn't make sense to me, but there are plenty of cars that run hotter under load without a thermostat. Some of them are probably like the Mercedes, where the thermostat has to block off the bypass loop. It's also possible that in some cars, removing the thermostat changes the flow characteristics enough to cause cavitation in the water pump at high engine speeds. Cooling systems aren't as simple as they look, and you "improve" upon the factory engineering at your peril.