MAO: I can't speak to your experience.  But there are several factors here.

Expectations:  I see too many kids today (including my step children) that
expect to live as well as their parents and they want it all NOW.  They do
not (or will not) understand that their parents lived for decades with one
junker car, no air conditioning, no cable or color TV or internet or cell
phone, almost never ate out, almost never made or got long distance calls,
and lived in a rented two room apartment or a room in a boarding house.  And
this was after serving years in the military, living in a barracks.  But
kids today are convinced that they need all the conveniences that the older
generations spent their whole lives building and saving for, they are
convinced they are entitled to all this stuff, right now, and the businesses
and credit agencies are all too eager to let them have it as they get in
debt over their heads.  By the way, this includes college:  they wabt it,
they think they need it, they aren't willing to work for it, but they are
willing to go into debt for it.

Second, productivity:  The value of whatever you produce must exceed the
value of whatever you consume.  Otherwise you are digging the debt hole
deeper, one way or another.  With all the laws, regulations, environmental
restrictions, unions, cronyism, etc. in the US, it's almost impossible for
an American to be as productive as a Chinaman, an Indonesian, an Indian,
etc.  Our steel mills are gone, little manufacturing remains, mineral
exploitation is fraught with environmental barriers, etc.  US agriculture is
doing OK but it employs very few people and the work is harder than most
native=born Americans are willing to do.  Bottom line, we as a country are
doing exactly the same thing the young kids are doing:  we are borrowing
without limit to support a lifestyle we haven't earned.

On college:  college costs are out of sight.  Why?  Supply and demand.  With
federal loans the demand is huge and the supply is limited.  The colleges
know that (with federal $$) the students (and taxpayers) will pay whatever
it costs.  There is no incentive to control cost. In fact, the opposite is
true: a more costly school is viewed as more exclusive and therefore,
better.

Finally, on jobs:  Jobs are created by job creators.  These are people that
take great personal risk in hopes of an eventual reward.  Most of these
folks fail, often repeatedly.  If that's not enough reason to abandon this
effort, we have as a nation created a social, regulatory, and tax
environment that punishes the successful job creator.  So when you ask:
where are the jobs, just remember who killed them.  It's the same story as
he goose that laid the golden egg.