Dieselhead wrote:
> I had an opportunity most people will snap up in a second.  It was to move
> to the CO Springs area for work.

We took up that opportunity that was offered to us in mid '80's and
knew nothing of what we were getting in to.  What happens if we needed
a hospital? etc.  My kids say our worst mistake as a family was to
move away from the abode we had in the moose pasture east of CSpgs.
We were on a 200-foot deep well in to the Black Squirrel aquifer -
absolutely without challenge the best water in the world which also
served as recharge to deeper wells people in Denver drew from.  Sod
field with irrigation rig to play under across the road.  Dumped my
used oil in the bar-ditch - my bad.  The city was 35 minutes west from
the abode we enjoyed and the city had everything we could ever want,
plus 5 major govt military installations - NORAD, AF Academy, Ft
Carson, Peterson AFB, Shriever AFB.  That total military mission may
have grown by now.  There is nothing bad to say about CSpgs except
that today it appears as if the idiocy of housing development that is
the ruination of much of the beauty we knew 25 years ago is
relentless.  We learned to enjoy the wonder of the beauty of the
grasses in all seasons especially the Fall when they dried out and the
colors were immense.  Plenty of natural diversity and beauty in all
the open land that we knew.  Golden eagles 2-miles from home,
antelope, 60-mph dirt road, raw milk - life was memorable.  All things
end - no sense trying to return to something that was - it all
changes.
Craig can chime in - he lived north of where we lived.
mao