The boat that I am currently working on is just something I need to be rid of. It is a 1973 18 foot Starcraft Holiday. I got it with the idea of fixing it up for my own use but then got another one very shortly after so this one became surplus. I offered it for sale a couple of times as is, with no success so decided I should improve it a little so that it might be more desirable. It had to have a new transom seal in order to put it in the water and try it out. The old one was so cracked, it would have sunk. I have installed the seal and now need to check out a couple of electrical issues and then should be ready to test it in the water. The bilge pump and the blower are not working and I don't know if they need to be replaced or if the wiring is faulty at the moment.
May find out this evening.

If I ultimately cannot sell it for what I want, then I could part it out and more than break even except for my labour. The engine runs fine on the garden hose, and is the 3.0, 4 cylinder GM engine that has been used for ever and ever so it should bring several hundred $.

The outdrive and prop look reasonably good but I have yet to try it out so the outdrive is an unknown at the moment. If it works ok then it is worth several hundred $ as well.

The trailer it sits on is worth close to a thousand $. I would need to clean it up a little with some new paint but the wheels and tires are good and I just put new lights on it.

The aluminum hull will bring a good $ at the scrap yard if I strip the drivetrain and the plywood floor out so it is pretty well all aluminum when they weigh it.

So, at the end of the day if I give up on selling it intact, I should not lose money. However, as I said, I like the boat. It has a pleasing shape and the hull is pretty decent. Starcraft made good boats back in the day. There are lots of them still going. It mainly needs new seats and carpet to look better. And, it is an OMC outdrive which of course is a bit obsolete. Some of the parts are becoming harder to find and there are not so many mechanics interested in working on them. They were good drives and there are lots of them still going but they have not been made in something like 25 years. That is the downside and the main reason that I acquired another boat and elected to devote my efforts to it as the keeper. The other boat is 20 foot aluminum Lund and has a Mercruiser outdrive so the parts are more available even though it too, is old and not all that valuable.

I like the shape of the Starcraft better and have considered swapping the drivetrain from the Lund to the Starcraft and then dispsosing of the Lund hull but it is really more work than it is worth. I would not be creating something of value that would justify my time.

I don't use a boat enough to justify a big dollar investment. I just like the idea of having it available since we have the cottage at the lake. My son has a 16 foot aluminum Alumacraft with an outboard motor that we use for fishing. It is not as comfortable as a cruiser however as it has only a side console with a smaller windshield that offers some protection to the driver and no canvas top.

Randy