If you read the fine print, any glass installer will tell you that if they
remove and reinstall a piece of glass (I had the car in to be painted and I had
them remove all of the glass and install a new windshield) they are not liable
if it cracks or breaks.  In the past I had a really good independent glass guy
who really knew how to do old car glass.  He did the rear glass in my 1970 250C
and one other car and it was perfect. I couldn't track him down when i needed
to do the 300SD, so I just picked a local auto glass place.

In this case they just sort of threw up their hands.  I called my insurance
agent and asked them if my comprehensive insurance might possible cover
replacement.  They had an adjuster call me.  He asked me one question: "Can the
car be operated safely without the glass in place?"  My response was "No".

A new glass place came and installed a brand new MB rear window courtesy of the
local MB dealership the next day.

My agent asked me if I planned on doing any business with the original glass
place again.  Why?  They were going to subrogate the claim....

Dan