I think Microsoft is finally going to die from petrification, along with Intel -- they used their (illegal) monopoly power to force us to use bad software on lousy chips for too long, and neither company is capable of responding to market forces (Intel has announced they want to "force" people back onto PCs using "superior" x86 junk).

It took 30 years, but maybe, just maybe, we can get out from under this crap. Everyone else always made better stuff than Microsoft, and Intel became a brain-dead monopoly about the time the founder died -- no real significant research since then, just kept tarting up a dead-end power hog design.

I'm greatly amused that NONE of the smart phones use anything from Intel. Before long no laptop or PC will either, unless they get rid of that ancient crap.

Peter

Petrification or putrification?

The biggest failure of computing in the past 30 years is the keyboard. It is a miserable HMI (human machine interface) Surely we can do better.

The big problem with programmers is that they want to add/change crap just because they can (because they are nearly always out of control) The focus should be on making a better product and providing the customer better value.

I plan to migrate biz computers to linux rather than any post XP desktop. For now XP still works.

No need for oriface any more.  Libre office is free, as is googelie docs.

Mach OS 10.6 is stable, much cheaper than winders any number but not free.

The univ junque sale had a whole stack of sun boxes for the unix junkies.