I read a history of MS once and IIRC they were kind of forced intoexpanding their business. It's been many years since I read it but I think IBM (perhaps) was looking for an OS and after being turned away initially by MS they eventually came back and at that point, MS found a small company nearby who had created DOS - they bought DOS for something like $80K and it became MS-DOS which they then sold all over the world - and the PC was born (in a very condensed version) ;-)

I may be wrong -- but I think that's what happened -

LarryT