Allan Streib wrote:

The other thing I come back to though, is that almost without exception
every analysis I've seen by anyone who actually flies the 777 says that
there is no excuse for the crew failing to monitor their approach
parameters and either correcting them in time or going around.

I like the "going around" idea.
The simple answer to getting landing clearance after you are above glide slope is to go around one more time and approach on glide path. If every pilot did that, the controllers might have to change their ways.

Mitch.