For dino oils, Penzoil used to be bad about gunk buildup. Havoline never caused problems in my experience.

As Larry says, use the proper oil and change it at more frequent intervals for a while. I think M1 will clean the gunk out over time. I do NOT have experience with engines that are started, driven a block or two and shut off. (severe duty) If the car has that kind of history, then for sure, re-read Larry's advice.

I would NOT be dumping any kind of snake oil (or brake cleaner) in the crankcase for any purpose. Bardahl and Rislone used to make additives for this purpose with old 'merkun iron, but I would NOT use either in a modern MB with the current tight tolerances. YMMV

Not off topic at all! If I understand your description of the gunk around the filler cap it sounds like it may be condensation which is normally forced to evaporate when the engine is driven long enough to get fully warmed up and stay warmed up for several miles. If the sludge is kind of grayish and the consistency of jello it may be condensation. If not, never mind. ;-) But in any case, sludge should not be forming on a engine receiving regular oil changes. Perhaps the PO failed to change the oil at regular intervals? I'm not familiar with the sensors MB uses to tell owners when to change their oil but if it goes more than 9000 miles or so I'd get antsy and change it anyway. We've done a number of TBN tests of various oils and the Total Base Number starts to be depleted after around 9000 miles. I know, some people go more miles than that without apparent problems but that's what the lab numbers say. Of course, different oils, weights, sub brands, and other factors contribute to different TBNs and their depletion rate. Total Base Number is a measure of the oils ability to neutralize the acids that are created by the combustion process.

So it's a difference between black gooey stuff and a creamy grayish stuff. If it's black and gooey IMO oil changes have been neglected. If it's grayish and creamy, it's not being fully warmed up.....

Condensation is a common problem for people who start their car, drive a couple of miles to work/school or whatever and shut it down.

I don't know what your driving habits are (or more likely the PO's) but if an engine is going to be started, it needs to be driven until it is warm, then maintain that heat for a while - this will force evaporate any moisture that condenses overnight. If the thermostat is not working properly the engine can fail to reach operating temp - my 91 300D was like this when we bought it and it never got above 160F - but this was winter in Va.

LarryT
91 300D
The Oil Analysis Co.
youroil.net