On 22/07/2013 2:39 PM, clay wrote:
Thanks for the data.  Stuff is sort of brown and muddy looking.  I am guessing
PO did not drive it to hot or long much.  He also may have believed the
marketing, and gone with book intervals.  That may mean I have to flush the
transmission and engine to clear the snot out and start kind of new.

clay

No idea if it applies to MB but my recollection is that the sludging issue that affected Toyotas was due to the engineers using crankcase ventilation systems that were too small in order to improve the environmental statistics. I don't think there was much one could do about it apart from changing oil very often and using good quality oil. Hard to overcome design defects.

Randy