Here's a question for those of you that know the intricate workings in
computers. I have a computer that has a ASUS A7V-VE motherboard and an
Athlon XP1800 + (AX1800DMT3C) CPU. It started having problems a while back
and I just set it aside. I had a few moments today to play with it, so I set
it up and turned it on. I think it has some motherboad problems because if I
plug an IDE cable into the "master" connector it either won't recognize the
drive is there, or will hang the system. I can take the same ribbon lead and
drive plugged into the "slave" IDE connector and it works fine. At the same
time the video seems to have some sort of intermittant connection as it
flickers and rolls intermittantly. Sometimes pressing or tapping various
places on the M/B seems to either correct the video or make it worse. My
question is...is this just caused by a bad M/B or can it be a problem with
the CPU? I can get a M/B from PC Liquidators that should work with the CPU
for about $30 but that M/B takes DDR memory instead of the PC100 that the
ASUS now uses, so I don't want to invest money in another M/B and memory to
re-use the CPU if the CPU is faulty. It appears to me from the info that I
have been able to dig up that the IDE functions are controlled by the
chipset, but I wanted to make sure. I appreciate any info that you folks
might have.

Barry