Your board might be grounding out, power supply is bad or your BIOS is
corrupt (Or all of the above).  Try taking the motherboard out of the case
and place it on a non conductive surface such as a wood board.  Plug just
the power supply, CPU and memory in.  Boot. If a go then go to another
computer and download and burn MemTestx86 to a bootable CD or floppy. Attach
either drive and boot, run the memtest for a few hours. If no errors then
you know you are good so far. Download your newest BIOS from your MB
website. Wipe out the existing CMOS according to the exact manual
instructions. Reinstall BIOS. Start plugging things in one at a time.  Make
sure your HD has the correct jumper settings, also if you have another hard
disk plug it in the master IDE slot to test to see if the problem is
specific to your disk. If you get everything running well outside of the
case that means your board is for sure grounding out.  Place plastic washers
in-between the metal screw mounts in the computer case and the board.  Make
sure nothing on the board is touching anything metal on the case. GL. Report
back when done. A few tips. The power supply and RAM are the two components
of the PC where you want to drop the most money and get quality parts, as
they are the most volatile components.  If you need to buy a new power
supply, get an Antec. If you need new RAM, run memtestx86 on it to make sure
it is indeed compatible with your board so you can return it.  If you drop a
few extra bucks on these two components your computer will run very stable
regardless of OS.

Nick

82 300 SD (Dead tranny, if you have one I want it!)
2005 Infiniti G35