See below........
On Aug 8, 2013 3:24 PM, "Fmiser" <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Fmiser wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, what's wrong with a late '80s GM with the Detroit 6.2L?
> > > Not as trouble free as an MB, but close.
>
> > Michael wrote:
> >
> > Interesting comment.  Along with my 83 300d, I also drive an
> > r3500 Chevy crewcab with 6.2 and sm465 4 speed tranny.  The 6.2
> > is efficient but not powerful like a Cummins or Powerstroke.  If
> > you drive it completely the opposite of the Benz it is cheap to
> > run and reliable.  If you run it hard it will eat fuel like a
> > small block gasser in a way too big truck.
>
> No - not _that_ much fuel.  And while the 465 is a strong
> transmission, without an overdrive you have to drive slow on the
> highway to keep the RPM down where the fuel use is low.  NV4500 is
> a good candidate.

A 4500 would be very nice.  Can't afford one now though.  The 6.2 is
efficient but like you say, it is terrible if you run it at high rpm.  I
get around 20+ on average, I get 15 or less if running too fast on the
highway.  No idea right now as the speedo is broken but I put a bit taller
tires on the back and it seems pretty good with the new engine.

> > Comparing to the Benz.....it is WAY easier to work on
>
> I disagree.  My 123s are much less likely to have seized fasteners,
> has more replaceable components, and is engineered for
> maintenance.  I think. :)

My truck is not badly rusted and being the OBS Chevy it is super easy and
cheap to work on.  It is a work truck, maintenance is easy, there is
nothing in the way of anything.  Took me about 3 hours to swap out the
injector pump.

> > requires almost no special tools
>
> And a similar vintage Mercedes does?

Ever change a Benz injector pump?  How about a 6.2?  A few wrenches for the
GM, locking pins, drip tubes, etc for the MBZ.

> > likes lower rpm's but will need an occasional Italian tuneup
>
> Hmm.  Lower RPM is necessary for low fuel use, and it isn't fond of
> running long term against the governor.  But it doesn't seem to
> mind being run up, say, to climb a hill.

I am not afraid to run the Benz to the floor all of the time.  The Chevy
wouldn't take that for as long in my opinion.

> > does not like wvo without conversion(rotary pump vs. inline on
> > MBZ) and will destroy pumps right away.
>
> And the Mercedes is destroyed - just not quite as fast?

Pretty much.  The Bosch inline will run and start on cold wvo.  The
Stanadyne db2 on the 6.2 will break the main shaft right away with cold wvo.

> If I could find a Mercedes older than mid-1990's that could seat
> more than 8 people, still have interior cargo room, and pull a
> 9,000 lb [4,000 kg] trailer I would gladly consider replacing my
> Suburban.

Nothing out there like your 'burban.......they are awesome.

> Meanwhile, I'm on the lookout for a pickup like what Randy doesn't
> want.  Crewcab, 4WD, manual transmission, 8ft or longer bed, single
> wheel 1-ton, diesel, pre-1995 preferred as this is to be for rough
> farm-truck duty.

Mine has everything but 4wd.  It is for sale.  Want details?

Mike