The M117 engine is pretty good, except that the timing chain guides need to replaced every now and then.
This is a KE-jetronic (CIS/E) car, maybe the fuel pump relay going wonky?
However it is a reliable system and reasonably simple.
Of concern is the 'corrosion' on the engine, looks like it was near nasty stuff, like acid rain. Hate the colour of the interior, I thought they got rid of those colours back in the 70's. Rust! Like an iceberg, you only see the tip of it and rust repair is expensive. Yeah basically if that SL was rust free and had no issues then yeah 6-7k is about right but not in this state, soft top has tear, seats are dried out.
Looks to me like it was not loved much.
To make this a worthwhile thing, you gotta be able to do the work to get it up to a decent standard yourself. How much is a decent paint job these days? Do you know anything about the KE system? Do you know a good indie who knows these cars?

Hendrik
who does not own a SL