I would have to know more.  Is it air cooled or water cooled?  Where was it
purchased? Model number?

In fairness, the one thing that Generac has done right that no one else in the
business has done is make a decent product for the consumer market.  Their
small standby units marketed through Home Despot and Lowe's are actually pretty
decent for the money spent, and have a fairly high level of reliability.

The other folks, such as Kohler and Onan, have tried to tap this market
unsuccessfully for years.  They can't make a highly "commoditied?" product
because they're so deeply involved in the commercial market.  Trying to make a
generator based on price point rather than design is nigh impossible.

Kohler's current and recent offerings, in my opinion, are too highly engineered
and rely far too much on electronics.  Their controls are microprocessor based
and use proprietary software and hardware.  If something acts up or breaks,
you're screwed.  Sadly, many consumers don't discover this until it's too late
and they're stuck with a very expensive repair bill or a large expensive lawn
ornament.

Generac is an engineering house rather than a manufacturer.  They design stuff
themselves and base their production on volume, which is so far from what the
others do it's an alien concept.  That's why everything says "Generac" on it -
it's someone else's product, like Briggs or Tecumseh, with Generac's exterior
design for things like cooling.

Case in point is the 25kW unit I got for nothing and fixed for $40.  It had a
Mitsubishi gas industrial engine that was never marketed in the US.  Generac
bought the long blocks directly from Mitsubishi and added all the peripheral
parts such as fuel, drive and mounting.  When the coil in the distributor
failed (a system much like GM's HEI) the only fix was an assembly replacement -
a new distributor - to the tune of $1600 for the part alone.

With travel time, mileage and labor all wrapped up in that repair, it exceeded
50% of the cost of a new unit.  The owner bought a new unit and we took the old
one back.  I did some research and found that the engine was common in Asia and
Oceania, so I got a hold of John in Australia and he got me the coil - for a
whopping $40 US shipped!

This is the risk with the Generac product, but as far as the consumer stuff,
parts are common and plentiful, so that's not an issue.

Dan