From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Dan
Penoff
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 8:44 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Speaking of Standby Generators

I would have to know more.  Is it air cooled or water cooled?  Where was it
purchased? Model number?

In fairness, the one thing that Generac has done right that no one else in
the business has done is make a decent product for the consumer market.
Their small standby units marketed through Home Despot and Lowe's are
actually pretty decent for the money spent, and have a fairly high level of
reliability.

The other folks, such as Kohler and Onan, have tried to tap this market
unsuccessfully for years.  They can't make a highly "commoditied?" product
because they're so deeply involved in the commercial market.  Trying to make
a generator based on price point rather than design is nigh impossible.

Kohler's current and recent offerings, in my opinion, are too highly
engineered and rely far too much on electronics.  Their controls are
microprocessor based and use proprietary software and hardware.  If
something acts up or breaks, you're screwed.  Sadly, many consumers don't
discover this until it's too late and they're stuck with a very expensive
repair bill or a large expensive lawn ornament.

Generac is an engineering house rather than a manufacturer.  They design
stuff themselves and base their production on volume, which is so far from
what the others do it's an alien concept.  That's why everything says
"Generac" on it - it's someone else's product, like Briggs or Tecumseh, with
Generac's exterior design for things like cooling.

Case in point is the 25kW unit I got for nothing and fixed for $40.  It had
a Mitsubishi gas industrial engine that was never marketed in the US.
Generac bought the long blocks directly from Mitsubishi and added all the
peripheral parts such as fuel, drive and mounting.  When the coil in the
distributor failed (a system much like GM's HEI) the only fix was an
assembly replacement - a new distributor - to the tune of $1600 for the part
alone.

With travel time, mileage and labor all wrapped up in that repair, it
exceeded 50% of the cost of a new unit.  The owner bought a new unit and we
took the old one back.  I did some research and found that the engine was
common in Asia and Oceania, so I got a hold of John in Australia and he got
me the coil - for a whopping $40 US shipped!

This is the risk with the Generac product, but as far as the consumer stuff,
parts are common and plentiful, so that's not an issue.

Dan