Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 13:27:51 -0400
From: "Scott Ritchey" <ritche...@nc.rr.com>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] My Wretched 240D

I had a 79 TD with electrical problems until I fixed them.  I initially (it
turned out) the alternator had a bad diode in the rectifier assembly that
was sucking about 2 amps from the batt.  After two tries replacing just the
rectifier assembly with one bought locally (supposed to be the right one but
both failed in short order) I got a Bosch reman from Rusty and it was 100%
until the day I sold the car.  Things may have changed so I'd discuss brands
with Hursty if you need to order one.  The second problem is that I nicked
the pulley moving it from the old alternator to the new one. That little
nick ate the belt in short order to the point it slipped to the point the
alternator wasn't charging.  So check your belt.  Also at one point, the
voltage regulator failed in a way that overcharged the battery.  The symptom
was the charge idiot light got brighter when I revved the engine.  The
replacement regulator was not expensive and I can install one without even
jacking the car (without removing the alternator).

In your case it's pretty obvious that the battery died so either it's not
charging (alternator) or you have a huge load (like glow plugs) draining the
battery.  In either case it should be simple to diagnose with a meter, even
a real cheapie meter will suffice.