A stuck (or in my case, broken and shorted) glow plug relay will indeed run the battery flat with a good alternator, especially at night when you have the headlights on. Less power produced by the alternator than is getting used, so the battery goes flat.

Happened to me on a trip, and unlike the Benz the Volvo has an electric shut off, so when the voltage goes too low the engine stops. I was looking for a place to pull over where I wouldn't get hit when I ran over a hole in the pavement and dislodged the broken contact in the relay, instantly restoring my headlights, radio, windows, and AC.

Peter