This thing wouldn't start today.... in the rain.... after I had been in the
dentist chair for 90 minutes. AAA jumped me, drove straight to O'Reilly's
to get a quick and dirty alternator check. Voltage check with engine
running, 11.0 volts. So....which is more that likely the culprit...
alternator or voltage regulator (which I replaced 6 months ago)?.

Bob R
On Sep 9, 2013 4:40 PM, "Larry T" <l02tur...@comcast.net> wrote:

> If nothing else works, a short battery cable in black or red are available
> cheap from FLAPS....
>
> Good luck -
> LarryT
>
> On 9/6/2013 11:10 AM, Bob Rentfro wrote:
>
>> So I go out to my car at the end of my 12 hour day and pop the hood. All
>> looks fine. I touch the negative cable I made and installed a week ago and
>> it comes apart at the terminal connection. That explains everything. I
>> guess my  2 ought crimping  skills are lacking. Should have soldered it as
>> well.
>> As luck would have it, I had a clamp on terminal connection I put on in
>> it's place, hooked up jumper cables to a work associate's Altima and 10
>> minutes later, it started. Tonight I will recrimp and solder the
>> connection.
>>
>> Bob R
>> On Sep 5, 2013 8:25 PM, "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>  A stuck (or in my case, broken and shorted) glow plug relay will indeed
>>> run the battery flat with a good alternator, especially at night when you
>>> have the headlights on.  Less power produced by the alternator than is
>>> getting used, so the battery goes flat.
>>>
>>> Happened to me on a trip, and unlike the Benz the Volvo has an electric
>>> shut off, so when the voltage goes too low the engine stops.  I was
>>> looking
>>> for a place to pull over where I wouldn't get hit when I ran over a hole