Our youngest two kids learned to drive in a 240D (passed down from their
great-grandfather), and drove it through highschool. I think it's the
perfect car for a new driver, not too fast (harder to get into
speed/acceleration related trouble) and very safe.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Kevin Slater <ksla...@mheservices.com>wrote:

> I heard a Car Talk episode that discussed the feeling of "if I can just get
> home" as if there is some magic in your own driveway or garage. Where I had
> to leave the car was dangerous so after I made it back to my house I had to
> call a platform tow truck to get it back home. I had only paid $500 for it
> and it was mostly to give my oldest child a way to drive himself to / from
> High School.
> On Sep 8, 2013 8:48 PM, "Kevin Slater" <ksla...@mheservices.com> wrote:
>
> > I seriously lament every week losing my 240D. Some guy came to buy it. I
> > was pretty sure the diesel motor was shot. It died in a snow storm. I was
> > pretty close to home and trying to make it back. The engine just went
> down
> > to no power and then quit altogether. I figured it was something internal
> > to the engine. The guy that bought didn't care. It was a mostly rust free
> > and in general good shape.
> > On Sep 4, 2013 10:42 PM, "Kevin Kraly" <kevinpadd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Just thought I would try to add some Mercedes content to the list.  In a
> >> couple weeks, I'm going to start looking in earnest for my next rattly
> >> Mercedes.  Will it be a W115 220D, 240D or 300D, W116 300SD, W123 240D
> or
> >> 300D sedan, coupe or wagon, turbo or NA, W124 1987 300D or a 1990-93
> 300D
> >> 2.5T, W126 SD or SDL?  I've even seen a couple W201's out there.  I like
> >> the 300tD's, but they either seem to be priced way too high even with
> >> issues, or the rear SLS is shot or removed completely.  I wouldn't mind
> >> 300CD NA or the extra power of a Turbbo Diesel since I liked the two NA
> >> models I owned. I'm looking for one that's enjoyable, not to expensive,
> one
> >>  without too much neglect, something to be the fun car.  Do you think I
> >> have the "sickness?"  Seriously, any suggestions on what years/models
> that
> >> aren't too pricy, lots of bang for the buck?
> >>
> >> Kevin, Mercedes Diesel-less in LaPorte, Colorado, moving back to
> >> Hillsboro, Oregon next Friday

OK Don
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin 1775
"in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
- Benjamin Franklin 1789
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!