I have had one of those "portable" tire changers for years and it works just fine. That's what used to be used to change tires for eons. Still works as long as you don't mind the work. Not too sure about the portable part as it does need to be fastened down to a concrete slab otherwise you aren't ever going to get anywhere. The portable tire balancer is also very nice as long as you remember to put the tire/wheel on there very gently. If you drop it too hard the pin that the balance cone rides on will break. That could just be a guess but...

Manfred

Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 07:44:07 -0500
From: "Gerry Archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com>

Back in the 40'-'50s-'60s I mounted and balanced my own tires when it was possible to do by hand. Since then I've been looking for a DIY rig that can
change/balance modern tires.
Harbor Frt has one which looks like it "might" work. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/tire-wheel.html

Thanks,
Gerry