You probably need to consider the thesis in context to the source of the
studies (college of social sciences, education, etc.) as this has a lot to do
with doctoral dissertations/theses, I suspect.

If you looked at doctoral candidates from a college of science or engineering I
can assure you the subject would be just as obscure and unrecognizable.

Was she getting a graduate degree?  I ask because where I went to school the
doctoral candidates had their own ceremonies where they got "hooded" by their
supervising professor.

Dan "No tam, thank you"