As someone who graduated magna cum laude from a very highly rated school of
education in the nation, I sort of take umbrage at some of the comments....

Pedagogical skills are critical to the transfer of knowledge.  If the  teacher
doesn't understand how their students learn or knowledge is transferred,
they're wasting their time and that of their students.  Just because one knows
the subject matter doesn't mean they can teach it.  This is a common fallacy
and often the reason why very knowledgeable people can't teach worth a damn.

I have a perfect example right now in a Cisco class I'm taking.  The teacher is
extremely well versed in the subject matter, but he doesn't know how to
transfer the knowledge.  I'm betting that fewer than the original 25 students
in my class finish as a result.  Those who don't or won't take the initiative
to try and figure things out on their own are already dropping out.

Yes, some schools of education are pretty lousy, but I'm sure the same is true
with schools of science, engineering, etc., etc.

The masters programs that you reference are endemic in education and probably
other disciplines as well. The problem in education is that advancement in
salary is often tied to educational level, therefore, you have a huge pool of
potential customers who are motivated to take the program for one reason only,
and not the "true" reason for getting the additional education.

Nova, Phoenix and others have been quick to capitalize on this segment of the
population, and their degrees are considered pretty much worthless within the
teaching community.  I know someone who got a "doctorate" in under three years
through one of these degree mills.  I refuse to address him as "doctor" and he
knows why, and it pisses him off.  He's no more a doctor as I am.  I don't even
think he had to do a dissertation.  As far as I know a doctorate (Ph.D.) in a
"real" university takes 4-7 years.

The College of Education at USF is very rigorous, and requires subject area
candidates to take courses in their respective subject areas in the
corresponding school.  That is, if you're a secondary teaching student
specializing in History, you will have a fairly heavy load that is taken in the
History Department of the College of Liberal Arts.  I had math courses taught
internally as well as ones in the College of Science, for example.

My degree is in Varying Exceptionalities (Special Education).  Along with
classes in each subject area in the respective colleges I took very specialized
classes that covered a lot of different disabilities, many of which were taught
by faculty from places like our de la Parte Institute of Mental Health and our
College of Medicine.  I also had an additional two semesters of "practicals" at
local schools that were centers for students with disabilities, all directed
and conducted by master teachers in those areas.  This was over and above the
State mandated required practicals for a "regular" classroom teacher.

My cohort was 16 people, all of which were managed by a group of four
professors assigned to us specifically for teaching, managing and directing the
program for two years.  We lived, ate and breathed together for the most part.
It was very rigorous, with a high attrition rate.  Of the 16 that started only
9 finished.

I believe much of what was said is true in that there are some colleges of
education out there that are doing a poor job.  However, I also believe there
are others that are very rigorous and do an excellent job of preparing future
teachers for the work they have to do.  Much of the problem, I believe, is due
to educational policy being a moving target.  The latest and greatest is a
constantly changing thing, requiring educators to constantly shift their
efforts in different directions.  We need consistency and focus on core
subjects, and the heck with the latest foo-foo stuff.

Dan B.A., B.S., A.A.