Thanks to all who replied! I now know - DOT4 and gravity are my friends ;-)

Merry Christmas -

Sincerely,
Larry

On 12/25/2013 2:58 AM, Fmiser wrote:
Larry wrote:

  1.          What DOT BF Should I use?  I used to use DOT 4 but
some forums have made that sound like a poor choice.
Don't use DOT3, as that is the cause of swollen hoses that begin to
act as check valves.

DOT4 is the right stuff - but there is some DOT3/4 on the market
that I don't trust.  I have used a Valvoline DOT4 for a decade or
so.

DOT5 is a different beast all together.  Non-compatible with DOT3
or DOT4.  DOT5e is a super-DOT4 that is compatible with with DOT3
and DOT4 - but I don't know how they interact with Mercedes rubber
parts.

  2.          How can I remove the old valves and put the new ones
in without losing lots of fluid or letting sir into the system?
Let the fluid run out.  I have gravity bleed system by just opening
the bleeder.  Put grease or anti-seize on the threads.  I then like
to wash off the leaked out brake fluid, then spray the area with a
heavy spray oil like LPS3.  Finally I coat the whole bleeder with
grease to keep the dirt and water out.

--    Philip