Had a friend who got spots of black grease on his dress pants from fixing his diesel while on a trip. He sprayed the spots with starting ether and wiped them with a rag or paper towel several times and the spots were soon gone. Been meaning to try that on two jackets soiled with black oil. I'll report back if I ever remember to do it.

Back in the 1930s something people called "naphtha" or "cleaning fluid" was a popular cleaner. I was sometimes sent down to the corner "filling station" with a jug for "naphtha" or "spirits". I think it was just white gas such as is found in lighters or camp stoves. Lots of wool clothing back then, which couldn't be washed in water, was usually taken to a dry cleaner. The naphtha was probably used to "spot clean" the wool clothing. Might work for leather but leather would have to be re-oiled afterwards.
Gerry