> G wrote:
>
> I believe, on close inspection, you will find the assembly guy
> wearing a type of work glove that is a cotton glove with the
> fingers and palm coated with some type of silicone like material
> that is both tough and oil resistant.  The inside of the glove,
> being cotton is quite comfortable to wear in a "hands on" work
> environment, as the cotton wicks away normal hand sweat unlike
> nitrile or latex surgical glove.
>
> I have been using this kind of work glove for the past two years
> rather than leather. They are less expensive, hold up well, and
> cheap enough that once contaminated, I don't feel cheated to
> dispose of them. Unlike leather gloves.
>
> The tactile feel of this kind of glove is surprisingly good in
> being able to pick up small parts for assembly.

I like mine.They have a nitrile coating on the palm side.  They are
stretchy enough to actually fit snug. The provide a little bit of
warmth, and the rubbery surface can provide more grip than skin in
some cases.

I agree they are remarkably usable for picking up small parts,
though the finger technique is a bit different than with real skin.

Some situations the grip is too much - like when I'm splitting or
chopping wood.  My hand needs to slide on the handle.

They are also not as tough as the leather, so for grabbing
rose/blackberry/etc thorny branches I prefer leather.

I was just out hauling firewood in the wheelbarrow.  I wore leather
when I was getting wood out of the brambles when loading - but I
switched to the knit+nitrile for holding on to the wheelbarrow
handles.

--      Philip