From: Hendrik and Fay <heni...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sat, Jan 11, 2014 11:19 pm
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1990 MB 300E - Replaced Fuel Distributor - Running
rough...help!

OK I am not sure what differences there are between the US and Euro
model 300E, we got the Euro version here, however I don't think there
any 'major' differences.
The US and Japan 103.983 engines got a MAS relay for some reason,
apparently pin 1 is battery, pin 2 is feed to fuel pumps
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1993/190E/SYSTEM%20WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/4410.pdf
Lots of stuff here
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20CD/W124/Index/103index.html
A new fuel distributor may well need adjusting, which is done with an
allen key down the top but should really be be done whilst reading the
lambda codes.
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20CD/W124/w124CD1/Program/Engine/103/07.3-2053.pdf
Have you checked your electrical bits?
The 103 is well known for having problems with the dizzy because of it's
location.
My advice to people generally is that if you don't have the tools or
know how to diagnose the system, take it to a good shop which knows the
Bosch systems and has experience.
Money spent on replacing parts which may not need replacing is better
spend on good diagnoses.
Ohh and another clue, a KE jetronic system will generally run, even
without EHA valve, O2 sensor, coolant temp sender (these bits where
added to turn K into KE), this is why MB stuck with it for so long, very
reliable system but not that efficient. The addition of the O2 sensor
(plus bits) helped to make it a little more efficient, K jet is supposed
to be tuned every service.

Hendrik
whose 103.983 is a little rough

On 12/01/14 13:49, Robert Koziak wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

>     I still have an issue with rough idle and hesitation during acceleration
on my 1990 300E w/90K  that I haven't been able to fix.  So far I replaced the
fuel filter, fuel pumps, oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor,and EHA
valve.......problem still there!

> My latest part swap is a rebuilt fuel distributor.  After installing it a few
hours ago the car now runs very rough and stalls.  I read that there is some
adjustments that have to be done on fuel distributors.  I don't have any
special
tools so I might have to take the car to a shop that deals in older Mercedes. I
can't seem to get it to run enough to get it to the shop.

> Does anyone know how to jump or bridge the relay to adjust the fuel flow to
the fuel distributor?  Books say to jump pins #7 & 8 on the fuel pump relay but
this car does not have one, it has a MAS relay.

> Any help or suggestions to get the car going would be greatly appreciated.  I
would hate to put back the old distributor to get it to a shop.