That's what happened to the Concorde but it crashed and burned.

I went to the DR back like 25 yr ago, the plane we were on (a 727 if I recall) broke at Punta Cana and the crowd who supposed to leave couldn't until the airline could muster a part and a mechanic and an airplane to fly down there and fix the thing, which took another day or so. The resort (Club Med) had to bus everyone somewhere else and put them up in hotels, not sure who paid for that.

--R